April 4, 2017

We’ll cut right to the chase: we think giving back is incredibly important. If you didn’t know already, through our partnership with 1% For The Planet, Green Sheep Water donates 1% of our sales to an organization that aligns with our values. This year, we've chosen to support the Surfrider Foundation. In their own words, the Surfrider Foundation “is dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world's ocean, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network.” With over 80 chapters and 110 active campaigns, Surfrider focuses efforts on five key initiatives:

  1. Securing Beach Access
  2. Ensuring Clean Water
  3. Protecting Special Places of our Oceans
  4. Preserving Our Coasts

And our personal favorite…

      5.  Preventing Plastic Pollution!

Hook, line, and sinker

Here at Green Sheep, we love our oceans and beaches and we’re going to do whatever we can to protect them. The biggest reason we started Green Sheep Water is because of plastic’s less than stellar reputation and the fact that so much of the plastic we use each year ends up in our oceans, making our sandy shores a little less inviting and our sea animals a lot less healthy.
 
We’ve said it before, but it’s worth mentioning again: Only about 30% of plastic bottles (of the billions used annually) will ever make it to a recycling bin. The remaining 70% will go directly to landfills and to our oceans, where they will slowly break into smaller and smaller pieces, but will take over 1,000 years to biodegrade. So, what happens to the itty bitty pieces of plastic that take foooooorever to break down?

Maybe you've heard of it

That plastic waste ends up in a huge, and we mean bigger-than-Texas huge, floating patch of garbage in the Pacific Ocean. Marine life often mistake the smaller pieces of plastic for food, which can be lethal for our amazing ocean buddies…like him!

Surfrider Foundation - Plastic Pollution

And her!

Surfrider Foundation - Plastic Pollution

And on top of that, the same marine life that digest these pieces of plastic may end up on our plates—eek!

What we're doing about it

We think Surfrider is awesome because of their focus on preventing plastic pollution through their Rise Above Plastics program and proven record of making change happen. In the past 30 years, Surfrider has built a network of coastal defenders, filled with local experts, scientists, lawyers, and more, who lead campaigns in communities throughout the U.S. Wanna know more about their active campaigns and victories? Don’t be shy—check ‘em out here! And because we’re just that big of fans, here are a few of our fav wins:

  • Plastic bag bans in several communities around the U.S. leading to 15 billion (with a B!) bags that will be kept out of landfills, watersheds, and oceans annually
  • Protected the Atlantic, Pacific, Eastern Gulf of Mexico and the Arctic from new oil drilling and seismic blasting
  • Monitored water quality of over 3,500 beaches

If you feel like supporting this extremely shrimportant cause, donate to Surfrider or sign up to volunteer with the world’s largest network of coastal defenders! Our team is actively involved in campaigns in the Chicago area, and we’d love to meet you!

00000000
Plastic Bottles Used in the
U.S. Since This Page Loaded